This page is particularly for diabetics to ensure a good foot health check routine is in place, however, all can benefit from a simple foot care routine.
- Maintaining and keeping your blood sugars in good range is the key and essential.
- Check your feet daily for blisters, cuts, swellings, lumps or red spots at the top, bottom and heel area. If bending or eyesight is a problem, use a mirror on a stick or ask a family member.
- Wash your feet every day in warm, not hot water with a mild soap.
- Dry skin carefully and softly, paying special attention to drying between the toes.
- Apply creams daily to the top and sole of the foot to keep skin soft and smooth but do not apply between the toes.
- Gently pumice corns and callus if your feet are low risk, if they are high risk visit Natural Balance. NEVER USE OVER THE COUNTER PRODUCTS OR SHARP OBJECTS ON CORNS OR CALLUS.
- If you can reach your nails, trim and file regularly. Do not cut down the sides, follow the shape of the nail and always file after. Never cut too short. If you cannot reach them, contact Natural Balance. For thick or problem nails contact Natural Balance.
- Never walk bare foot and always wear clean comfortable socks, preferably seamless and shoes which cover your feet and do not slip. Check the insoles of the shoes for creases and foreign objects every day.
- Get your feet measured for new shoes for a comfortable fit and break them in gently to avoid blistering your feet.
- Wear shoes or slippers even in the house
- Keep your feet at a regular temperature, avoiding extremes of hot and cold, wearing shoes on the beach, and socks at night if your feet are cold.
- Do not test bath water with your feet and avoid hotwater bottles or heating pads.
- To keep the blood flowing to your feet put your feet up when resting.
- Wiggle your toes and circulate your ankle for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day.
- Do not cross your legs.
- If possible do not smoke.
- Keep active
- Have your feet checked regularly and follow any advice given
- Set a time aside daily to check your feet, and if in doubt contact Natural Balance or your GP.
ANY CUTS BLISTERS, SORES OR BRUISES OR SUDDEN SKIN CHANGES SHOULD BE SEEN TO IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT DELAY IN GETTING TREATMENT.
Call Natural Balance today for some friendly, expert advise.
Call us on 01454 501659 or 07939 200490 for a home visit or to book an appointment at Southville clinic call 0117 963 2335. We look forward to hearing from you.